Sunday 13 September 2015

Nuthin' but net 3 on 3 fantasy basketball miniatures tabletop boardgame

Yes you read that right! No it is not bloodbowl, or dreadball, or elfball or even guildball. I have discovered a game based on my favourite game ...basketball :)
Obviously the guy who wrote this game was my brother from another mother as we both love tabletop gaming and basketball. The game is quite old now and was never a hugely supported thing, it started off as a "two hour wargames" ruleset and uses their chain of reaction mechanics nicely. It was purchased by Impact Miniatures.com who now sell it but I think you can buy the PDF elsewhere as I did from some random website.
Basically it is played on a hex grid the size of a sheet of A4 paper (that is like the size or smaller than a text book for any americans reading) which you can print off from the pdF the rule book also has tokens and bits and bobs you can print off which represent players for all 9 factions, however it is clearly better to use miniatures. Impact miniatures sell a single team for this game but no other mini companies that I know of sell fantasy b-ball minis but bloodbowl type minis for fantasy american football wargames are easily converted (as are any minis tbh). I have not procured or produced any suitable minis yet but am slowly reading the rules and pushing about nightgoblins and headless orc minis etc to get to grips with the game. I have printed off the court and stapled it to card and built myself a little basketball hoop to make it look better. The board has a hoop drawn on to it but I wanted a 3d one.
I am liking the sound of the reaction system as it makes the game very involved and both players are always rolling there are almost no roll that goes unopposed so it keeps everyone engaged and thinking about what is going on. The teams all play slightly differently due to having different stats and I have found the 2 rule expansions which the creator put out freely for anyone online. These add ons allow for league play and extra rules like legendary characters and league play. I can't remember The teams off of my head by rote but include all your usual fantasy fare such as elves(great shooters) dwarves(hard as nails) orcs (strong) beastmen(strong and smelly) goblins(weak as, but they get an ogre who can dunk on fools) humans (jack of all trades but good at jack 'ish)  and my 2 teams I have claimed ratmen because I love GW's skaven and mantics veermyn and the kermetians who are...frogs lol. Yes it appears this guy writing this really is my long lost twin he also has a weird obsession with frogs... I bloody love frogs heh heh. So as I am a glutton for punishment I have added yet another game to my list of games i 'play' (talk about playing and build/paint minis for) and am planning to sculpt some frogs. There are some great frog minis out there but as I am an aspiring sculptor of sorts and love basketball I just had all these images of frogs doing stereotypical basketball poses and stances. I want this to be a real showcase type game that doesn't just shout "fantasy warriors like skeletons and all that crap but ...oh wait they are playing cricket and badmington" that is silly. This is incredbily silly but I want it to look unique and so I am going all out. Here is my design for a frog point guard (not really postitions so to speak in this game but that is what he clearly will look like) I drew it really quick and rough and then penned it in to look a bit less shoddy. Leuca "the dart" Bentley!
because he is based on a dart frog I can paint him crazy colours when I'm done sculpting it and hopefully it will be insanely good (if I ever do it/pull it off!) I'll let you know if the game is as good as I hope it is. Goodbye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment